Welcome to Zone!
An inclusive free speech instance. All cultures and opinions are welcome.
Message to New Members
Welcome to the MASTODON zone, which is like Twitter, but much more better!
Please don't hesitate to Direct Message me ( @firstname.lastname@example.org ) or tag me in Posts if you have any questions or even if you just want to chat.
If you are new to Mastodon you may want to check out this official getting started guide: https://docs.joinmastodon.org/
We are a free speech and censorship-free zone. As long as your comments are appropriate and respectful, you won't ever be banned from the server. Feel free to discuss anything you want and to say whatever you want.Having stated that, there are some rules that apply:
In addition to a few others, there should be no spam and no use of numerous accounts to get around individual bans.
Here are some helpful tidbits for Mastodon newbies.
Mastodon is essentially a decentralized platform that functions similarly to twitter.
Thus, anyone can create a server where users can register and log in to utilize it similarly to Twitter (such as Mastodon).
The way the servers communicate among themselves is special.
You can just type @user to specify someone who is on the same server as you, or @user@server to specify someone who is on a different server.
You will receive an alert right here if you are followed or mentioned by anyone on any internet server.
My entire tag is @email@example.com.
So let's talk a little bit about the timelines. There are three of them (unlike twitter, which just has one):
Home, Local, Federated.
Everyone you are following appears on your Home timeline, just like you would expect it to on Twitter.
Every post created on your local server appears in the local timeline.
What is interesting is the federated timeline. It creates a single timeline from all of the servers' timelines.
You can view everyone on the server who has followed them by doing so (assuming the post is public).
As a result, this timeline accurately depicts every Mastodon user online (though not really).
Our Federated Feed is quite robust and covers hundreds of instances because we also have a bot that roams the office and federates with everyone it encounters.
The only other aspect that is distinct is whether a post is listed or not.
You can set a post to be listed or unlisted in addition to the standard privacy settings found on Twitter.
If it's unlisted, it behaves exactly like a regular tweet but doesn't appear anywhere on local or federated timelines.
It should go without saying, but do not be racist, sexist, or hateful, and do not harass others. Don't be shitty! It's a pretty shitty thing to do!
The following is the list of MASTODON administrators/moderators.
***We will never advertise on MASTODON or sell your information to third-parties***Your data is safe with us***
What will get you banned:
- Anything illegal.
- Intentionally creating a MASTODON account to circumvent people blocking you.
- Explicit hate-based racism, sexism, and other hateful speech, but generally unpopular opinions voiced respectfully will be fine.
- Being a bot (unless you post unlisted and do not auto-follow)
- Any account setup solely to advertise a product or service
- NSFW without a content warning
- Spoilers without a content warning
- Blocking of moderators is prohibited since it interferes with their ability to moderate content. However if you do not wish a moderator to comment on your posts outside of official moderator communication such a request will be honored.
What won't get you banned:
- Hurting someone's feelings
- Anything that can be solved by a personal block
- Lewd jokes
- A bot where all posts are unlisted
Despite the fact that we support the right to free speech, we aim to foster an environment where people respect one another. Don't treat individuals disrespectfully; if they do, block them and go on. An administrator will get in touch with the parties concerned and try to negotiate a peaceful resolution if we get a report about one of our users. We'll have an adult conversation about it. Keep in mind that there is a person on the other side of the computer; if we can act responsibly in real life, we can do the same online.
Federating: Silencing & Blocking
We do not censor or block other Fediverse instances because of their agenda, politics, or users' or staff members' viewpoints. We just demand one simple requirement from the servers we federate with: respect for a user's ability to disconnect. Blocks will only be reserved for technical assaults like DDoS attacks; offending servers would only be hushed, not blocked.
- If, for any reason, a user requests another user to not tag them, this request will be respected without exception.
- If a user is blocked and it is clear the user who was blocked that this was directed at that user. Then creating additional accounts specifically to circumvent this block would be disallowed. If the user was unaware of the block then they wouldn't be accountable however.
- Unsolicited advertising must be opt-in only. This means commercial advertisements which directly tag individual users without permission from that user, especially when done in bulk, will not be allowed.
We understand that moderators will not always catch all of the offenses listed above. If a server does not appear to be in compliance with the above federation policy, we will first contact the server's moderators. We will continue to federate if those moderators actively take action to handle those cases as they are reported. Only cases in which moderators are made aware of the aforementioned cases and fail to act will result in defederation.
Similar to the above, we will always contact the admins of the other server, typically with a CC from a non-MASTODON account, if we receive anonymous reports of **any** incident of any type from a foreign server directed towards one of our own users. We will, however, respect any request made by a moderator or administrator not to be contacted for any reason.
We currently do not block or silence any servers in the fediverse.
Mastodon generally allows you to view content from and interact with users from any other server in the fediverse. These are the exceptions that have been made on this particular server.
Posts from these servers will be hidden in public timelines and conversations, and no notifications will be generated from their users interactions, unless you are following them: